Other than the obvious getting 8-9 hours of sleep a night for an athlete, check out these tips for staying energized for your day-to-day activities and workouts:
- Drink water – Water promotes oxygen flow to the brain and thereby promotes alertness.
- Breathe – When we are fatigued, our breathing becomes shallow. Take several deep, diaphragm breathes every 10 minutes through the time of greatest fatigue.
- Stretch – Big muscle movements and stretches get blood flowing and that all-important oxygen moving to the brain. Brisk walking on the spot for even one or two minutes is ideal, but there are many sitting and standing movements which are equally effective.
- Turn on the Light – Light signals our bodies to be awake and alert.
- Nap – Cat naps will result in measurable improvements in alertness.
- Sniff – Both peppermint and lemon scents are known to promote alertness.
- Drink Tea – As simple as it may sound, having a cup of hot tea is a great pick-me-up. Choose one of the many non-caffeine varieties and enjoy!
- Take a multi-vitamin – Deficiency in certain vitamins & minerals can cause fatigue. An alternative is to increase colorful and varied vegetable intake.
**If you feel you have a HUGE problem with fatigue, see your doctor to be tested for low-blood sugar, anemia (iron deficiency), or thyroid issues**
So what do you do to keep energized during the day and crash soundly at night? What are some tips you could share with others? How does poor sleep affect your workout & good sleep affect your workout? How do you find balance and keep from wearing out?