Yumm, made this on Saturday and it was a big hit. Major thanks to Michelle for the incredible green chiles and jalepenos from her garden 🙂 Here’s the trick- half of it’s pureed and half of it is left pico. All of the ingredient amounts are “to taste” so play around until you meet your preferences. I took this basic recipe and then tweaked it and used some fresher ingredients.
- 3 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3 fresh tomatoes, quartered
- 2 fresh green chiles, seeds removed
- 2 fresh jalepenos, seeds removed
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes (I used original)
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- handful of fresh cilantro, chopped finely (I used about 2/3 of a bunch)
- 1/2 yellow onion, pureed into a slush
- 3-5 cloves of fresh garlic, pressed in a garlic press (I used 5)
- salt, to taste (I used about a 1/2 teaspoon)
- lime juice, to taste (I used several tablespoons)
Put the fresh diced tomatoes in a bowl and set to the side. In a blender or food processor, blend or puree the quartered tomatoes, jalepenos, chiles, onion slush, and both kinds of canned tomatoes. Pour over the fresh diced tomatoes and stir in the pressed garlic, cillantro, salt, and lime juice.