This article explains that trusting yourself means tuning out the noise from other people’s opinions, and only doing what feels right to you, what answers you intuitively know. Here are some areas in which to think about trusting yourself.
- Dieting- avoid quick fixes, you know your own weaknesses so arm yourself accordingly
- Exercise- avoid fads, you know what works for you, your body, and your lifestyle, you know what motivates you
- Friendships- you can limit interactions with those who bring you down, trust what you feel
- Relationships- don’t lose track of who you are and what you want from this relationship and the next, stay true to yourself
- Career- everyone’s career path is unique because we’re all unique, trust yourself and make everything your own flavor
Sometimes we doubt our power, doubt our abilities, and dwell in disappointment. Understand that sometimes lulls in our self-trust do happen, that’s natural. But don’t let it get under your skin. Pick yourself back up. This article has some ideas for overcoming self-doubt:
- Ground yourself, focus on being in the present moment, look at the positive, try getting outside in nature
- Balance the negative thought gremlins, make a list of 10 positive affirmations/things about yourself on a piece of paper, post somewhere you see daily, read it often (**reading my positive affirmations and goals often helps my mood SO MUCH**)
- Nurture yourself with enough non-working fun time, hydrate and eat well, write down things you’re grateful for
- Connect with others, get support from a therapist or friend if you need it, “sometimes just the reassurance that you are not the only one who gets stuck or has moments of self doubt can be help you shift a why me attitude.”
Here’s a Buddha quote about questioning everything you hear and just listening to yourself, then acting according to your intuition:
- “Do not let yourself be guided by the authority of the sacred texts, nor by simple logic, nor by appearance or opinion, nor even by the teachings of your master; when you know in yourself that something is bad, then give it up, and accept the good and follow it.”
And three great quotes from EE Cummings:
- “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.”
- “To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.”
- “We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit.”
My favorite is that last one. Loving yourself and believing in yourself are crucial. But reach it outwards, too. Never underestimate the power of your smile towards someone else, a good listening ear of friendship, and letting those you meet know they are important and valuable, unique, strong, and beautiful.
Believe in yourself, trust yourself, listen to your intuition, take risks, enjoy what you enjoy, feel what you feel, and act with your whole soul.